The phrases can be replaced with a single word as follows:
- Each, every, all
- Can, could
- When, where
The unnecessary words were in the following phrases. Replace them with the word in brackets.
- first, undoubtedly
- by way of donations in order to, the works of
- and every
- as a matter of fact
- to obtain, in order
- insofar as possible, true and
- out, general
- in order, your education at
The rewritten sentences would be:
- The creditor must show that the debtor is bankrupt.
- Our main role is to raise money to fund these charities.
- Professor Smith was chosen by each person on the committee.
- Pleasantville has a strong position in the forestry industry.
- The student needs high marks in science to study medicine.
- The manager will make sure the information is accurate.
- We will send brochures to the public.
- You must be willing to challenge yourself to get the most out of university.
The sentences can be rewritten as follows:
- We are working hard to give the poor the basics to lift themselves out of poverty.
- Before semester starts, students should contact us for help with their plans.
- It appears the tragedy could have been avoided if the company had talked to workers about workplace dangers.
- The population of the island is 12,046 with the possibility of 5% growth by 2012.
- A commerce graduate can apply knowledge from their course to their work.
The paragraphs can be rewritten as follows:
- From 4 August, we will select students using processes that meet legal requirements, our diversity strategy and policies on student selection.
- We are offering free replacements for current passports lost or damaged in the recent floods. You must contact us on 998 9988 by June 10.
- We can investigate breaches of privacy principles by agencies and organisations, and privacy complaints made by individuals.
- We help people affected by natural disasters and conflict. We provide emergency relief when disaster occurs and support communities as they rebuild.