Suitable for anyone who writes for their organisation’s website or intranet. Ideal for web writers, editors and content managers, but also relevant for subject matter experts and content approvers.
Whether you do this training online or face-to-face you’ll get:
- printed booklet of detailed workshop notes
- electronic presentation materials, including all the ‘before and after’ examples we use during the training
- checklists to help you apply what you’ve learned
- online exercises to develop your skills
- templates, cheat sheets, writing tips and more that you can download and share with your team.
Dey Alexander has over 20 years web experience. She’s consulted to a wide range of organisations and worked on numerous web projects. Dey offers this course as part of Vision Australia’s digital accessibility training program.
Comprehensive course content
The course has 6 content modules (some are combined in the webinar version). Most modules include an exercise.
- Users’ online reading behaviour, covering:
- five common online reading behaviours
- teens, millenials and seniors, compared to adults
- how disabilities can affect the way people read online.
- Publishing useful content, covering:
- planning process
- identifying your target audience and understanding their information needs
- managing content over time.
- Making content findable, covering:
- how people find and re-find content online
- content elements that findability
- labelling and describing content to improve findability.
- Designing scannable content, covering:
- structure and organisation
- Writing readable content, covering:
- voice (active/passive)
- personal pronouns
- concise writing.
- Creating accessible content, covering:
- six guidelines for text-based content (in brief)
- six guidelines for images (in detail).
Comments from some of our participants
- The examples were well chosen and made the ‘theory’ come to life
- Very comprehensive – loved the exercises
- Enjoyed being involved in presenting some of the training. If I did it again, I’d still get something out of it
- Practical, no nonsense approach. Covered exactly what I was looking for and was pitched at the right level
- Practical notes, backed up with examples and further reading
- Very thought-provoking and great use of real examples
- Incredibly useful. Everyone writing for the web should know this stuff
- Make it compulsory for anyone who writes for the web!